Colorado residents may hold a Colorado driver license OR Colorado ID card - not both.
To obtain an ID for the first time:
- You must provide identification documents to prove full legal name, date of birth, identity and lawful presence in the United States
- You must provide proof of your Social Security number
- You must provide proof of your current Colorado address
- ID card (under 60 years old) $11.50
- ID card (over 60 years old) FREE
An entire list of fees is available here.
Renew your ID card:
Reduce your wait time and schedule an appointment online.
You may renew your adult ID card any time prior to the expiration date - you shouldn't wait until it expires.
- Check eligibility to renew online
- Check eligibility to renew by mail
- 0 - 21 years of age: must visit an office to renew or replace ID card
- Turning 21 years of age: must visit an office on or after 21st birthday to renew
- 21 - 64 years of age: may either visit an office or renew online/by mail up to two times in a row
- 65 years of age and older: may either visit an office or renew online/by mail every time
Your new ID card will be mailed to the address you provide. Documents usually arrive in 10-14 business days, but may take up to 30 business days to be delivered.
Minors (under 21)
A legal guardian will need to accompany the minor to the driver license office. The guardian will need to have proof of legal guardianship (i.e. child's birth certificate with their name as parent) as well as proof of their identity (i.e valid Colorado driver license).
For additional information, call 303-205-5694